Monday, October 3, 2011

A Moody Day in Boston

Our internet has been out for about two weeks.  Long story (let's just say we're not big fans of comcast customer service), but we finally got it back today.  I've been wanting to post, as I've been backlogged with photos and thoughts, but for today I'm just posting quickly about our weekend.

Generally, I love rainy days, especially in October.  Moody weather in October is perfect for sparking the Halloween spirit.  However, on the weekends, I prefer sunny weather to get out with the family and enjoy the autumn atmosphere.   Our weekend plans were to go apple picking and to visit Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, NH, but with continual rain, I did not feel like going mucking around in mud to pick apples.  I love the outdoors, but am not a dirty outdoors kind of girl.  Change of plans and it was to Boston we went instead!  This is exactly why I wanted to move near Boston - so that during inclement weather, particuarly in the winter, we would have a big city near us and would have easy access to museums.

We have a membership to the Museum of Science, which I recommend if you ever find yourself in Boston, so we spent some time there.  The museum itself straddles the cities of Boston and Cambridge and its got an amazing view of the Charles River.

 photo 9719fc06.jpg

Another thing I love about moody weather - taking photos of moody skies!

 photo 01cd412b.jpg
We also went traipsing around the city.

 photo 8e3971c8.jpg
Part of my family walking the streets of Boston.

And we hit Quincy Market for some Italian ice and ice cream.

 photo 6c0a4b94.jpg

Thank you, Boston, for saving our rainy weekend!  I am in love with this city.



(All photos taken by iphone 4 and edited with iphone apps)

20 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Those are beautiful shots!!

The Clines said...

Gorgeous photos! I'm near Boston also- love the city!

Hungarican Chick said...

I miss Boston ALL THE TIME. That picture of Quincy Market almost made me cry. :D Enjoy!!!!!

Maggie May said...

It does look a lovely place.
Glad you got your internet sorted.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Heather said...

oooh, that is such an awesome moody sky! you live in such an amazing part of the country. Sigh...someday I'll get up there! :D
Cant wait to see what you cook up for halloween!

susette said...

Loved all these places when I visited my daughter and her husband who was living out there at the time.

Andrea said...

Great photos (especially since you took them with your phone). I love Boston.

~Kristen~ said...

Gorgeous photos! And, yes, I am quite partial to Boston myself! ;-)

Crystal Pistol said...

You always take the best photos! The moody skies are my favorite. I went to Boston in October two years ago. I LOVED every second. Such a great city!

Donna said...

Your pictures are simply wonderful! Love the sky colors...how'd you do that? Wow!
I love cloudy, rainy days. They seem "cozy" to me. Your solution for the weather is perfect. We have wonderful science museums in Cleveland and Columbus here too and since we live right in the middle of both, we feel lucky to be able to go either way. Your post was great!

Donna said...

Boston is an awesome city and you're so lucky to be close to it. I miss living in its suburbs myself. We are big fans of the Museum of Science!

highheels said...

Christian Louboutin
At any time you show up at a meeting from the celebration would shortly see, this mixture of christian louboutin beige position toe pumps, haven’t only search adorable and truly classy and more often than not have in typical occasions, a bigger utilization! the splendid blend of traditional and vogue is our eternal pursuit, in order that our Christian Louboutin Black Golden pumps fashionable and ideal for various tastes of shoppers.

Heidi said...

Loooooooooooove it!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

These are incredible photos! The sky looks awesome :)

I want to go back to Boston so badly!

Donna said...

I love these pictures, I would love for you to read my blog and tell me what you think.....I went way out on a limb...

An Historical Lady said...

We live in an 18thc. cape not far from Castle in the Clouds. If you get the chance, you should go sometime. It really is a wonderful place to see! It is exceptionally beautiful here in our little corner of NH...
You should make reservations for our 'DINNER WITH THE PILGRIMS'---a 17thc. dinner here in our early home!
As historical reenactors, we were on Boston Common, and marching through the streets of downtown Boston in 18thc. clothing in July! It is a wonderful place too.
I hope you will visit my blog, if you love New England as much as we do~
Mary

http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

The Cape House said...

Those are BEAUTIFUL photos. Thank you! I'm always missing Boston and love to see photos of that great city.

Tami Weingartner said...

Haven't seen you show up in my Google Reader in a little while....just stopping by to check in and make sure I didn't miss anything.

kelly said...

Alyson, I hope you are okay with me getting to know you better through your blog. You have truely inspired me to be a better person and to make better use of my time. I have been in a huge rutt in my life not knowing what I should do...with me being home now for the first time I look around my own home and do not even know where to start with making things better. You and I have so much in common but I have been slacking lately in a lot of areas. I hope that we can become better friends and I can continue to learn from you. Thank you for being so honest and connecting with me in a way that I will never be able to describe. Please decide to write something soon...you have an extraordinary gift. I am so glad that you have entered my life. I look forward to getting to know you better. Please let me know when you and your family can come for dinner.

scott davidson said...

What an interesting blog, introduced by a thought-provoking photo. The unusual wall painting of the dwellings is also a strangely modern interpretation. Something like this hieroglyphic view of a park by Swiss painter Paul Klee, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LT475.
The image can be seen at wahooart.com who can supply you with a canvas print of it.