Friday, July 1, 2011

This Old Cape

Photobucket

I can't believe that it's been nearly 3 weeks since moving day. I naively thought I'd be back to blogging within a week, but instead I still sit amongst stacked boxes and cans of paint. This has been one of the more difficult settling-in phases for us as we are not only attempting to unpack our things, but also restoring old hardware and painting every surface. We haven't even gotten into the major remodeling stuff yet, but if you add up all the small things we must do it is moumental. However, most importantly, we did manage to paint the wood floors in the kitchen, family room, and mudroom in a black and ivory checkerboard. It turned out beyond expectation, and I will share it on my blog next week. Is it possible to be completely head-over-heels, in love with a floor? Because I do believe that I am!

For now, I'm posting this photo I took of our front door light with my iphone. This is a prime example of what I love about this house. All of the antique detailing makes my heart go all aflutter! This is the sweet, antique cape cottage I've been dreaming of, set in the sweet New England village I've been dreaming of, and I still feel like I need to pinch myself to make sure this is real.

I wish you all a wonderful July 4th holiday! As for us, we will try to balance between working on the house, but also indulging in our town's celebrations and grilling up some Fenway Franks.

Front of my house
A front/side shot of my house taken with my iphone. I love that day lilies are all over my land!



17 comments:

ellen said...

I'm going to be in NH tomorrow (Stake activity -- meeting the youth at the end of their 3 day trek) at Camp Zion. We really should meet up for lunch this summer. Welcome to New England!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Ellen - yes, let's do so. Where in NH are you going tomorrow?

SG said...

Good luck with settling in. I'll look for more pictures of your new abode (I'm specially interested, since I am an antique lover).
And happy 4th of July!

Maggie May said...

It looks so cosy and I love those traditional wooden panels which we don't get in *Old England*!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Barbaloot said...

Those lilies are beautiful---such a great color! Can't wait to see more of the home.

Erin @ I Heart New England said...

Wow... you are truly living my dream! That house is breathtaking ♥

Heather said...

Sooo impatiently waiting to see the rest of the place! Im sure it is magical and amazing. You're so so lucky to be living this dream of yours!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

It's good to hear from you again! I can't wait to see the inside of the house - I love the outside light and the whole outside facade. Happy 4th to you and your family!!!! :)

Hansonpatch said...

It looks beautiful and like a dream. Congrats on buying such a gem!

Crystal Pistol said...

The stage of sitting among boxes can be maddening but it is also ripe with possibility! I'm happy for you and your new adventure! Can't wait to see how you magically put it all together!

Lara said...

Love, love, love! Seriously beautiful.

Andrea said...

I can't wait to see the floor. I love black and white checkerboard. I would to live in an older house - as long as the restoration has already been done.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

How exciting! Sounds like you're right where you want to be in life and I am so happy for you :)

Erica said...

Love it! Seriously beautiful.

Homeowner Insurance Coverage

Sarah Laurence said...

Welcome to your new home! These glimpses are delightful. I look forward to seeing more once you settle in. I fell in love with the old floors and 1920's detailing in our house so I get you.

~Kristen~ said...

OhMyGosh I am so behind!!! I looooove (what I can see of) your new home!!!! Love love love!!! I can't wait to see more!!!

I am still thinking I kind of have an idea where in NH you moved to! ;-) And if I am right it is not all that far from where I am in MA! We will have to plan to meet up sometime after you are fully settled!!! Maybe a lovely New England autumn day?!

An Historical Lady said...

So pretty! I too live in a very old cape in NH! I hope you will visit, and take the tour to period musick~

www.thecountryladyantiques.com

Mary
http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com